Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Why did I take a 30 day Social Media Sabatical?

♬♪♫♩Wake me up when October ends ♬♪♫♩ la..la..la..

This was my jam 2 months ago. I purposely changed the lyrics to October because, unexpectedly, my birthday month was the worst month (knock on the wood) I had this year. WHY? Well, It's a long story and to make it short, let's just say that I was on the verge of giving up on life to the point that I wrote a note to say goodbye. To make matters worse, the people I trusted the most and expected to be there were the ones who ditched me. I came to a point when I had no one to hold on to but myself. It was a heartbreaking moment when I had no other choice but to give up but with the grace of our amazing GOD, I managed to pull myself back together. 

But please don't be alarmed! My purpose here is not to obtain your sympathy nor seek your pity nor your attention, there's absolutely nothing to worry about me, I am fine now! More than fine that when I re-read the note I wrote I can't help but laugh at myself! By the way, it ended up in the shredder.  THANK GOD!

On 21st October 2017, the answer that I was searching for, when I was on my low, suddenly hit me like a thunderbolt. I had goosebumps, it felt like as if I got electrocuted then suddenly find myself with new superpowers. It maybe hard for you to believe but in an instant, I had a different perspective...a different mindset... a different heart... 

Three days after, I decided to look deeper into my heart and get in touch with my authentic self, I asked myself this question: "What is one thing I do that's getting in my own way?" After the big dig down, I realized that over the past years, I found myself consumed by social media. I always have that insatiable urge to pull out my phone to check facebook, instagram and snapchat. If you'll ask me if I am a persistent poster or  a compulsive checker, I am BOTH! I am both a poster and a scroller (may I add, a persistent user of LOL too!)

Taking a break from social media has helped me clear some of the noise in my life, to see who I really am and to focus on who and what’s most important in my life. It was like a reset button that has helped me experience life more up close.

Everything got better in a span of a month.. The taste of food, experiences, relationships and most importantly my self perception.

I will be making another blog about these things soon. I will share important details of the big breakthroughs and revelations brought about my Social Media Detox in the hope of inspiring readers to do the same.

We are usually oblivious to the consequences of sharing every moment of our lives on our walls. Browsing through someone’s profile, comparing our life to theirs. Thinking that the grass is always greener on the other side. It’s synonymous to us taking a big chunk of brick and hammering it against our heads. It’s completely unfair to ourselves!  It's not logical to compare our real life to someone else's controlled online content. We should learn to applaud lives of others without beating ourselves up for not having and achieving what they have or accomplished. Our paths are different from each other for a reason. 

If you waste your precious time comparing yourself to other people, you’ll never achieve anything. Devote your time and energy into chasing after your own dreams and aspirations instead of wasting it on a useless activity. 

Stop your self

Focus on your own journey

Count your blessing and be grateful to the Lord almighty for everything that you have.

You are BEAUTIFUL and You are ENOUGH. 

No comments:

Post a Comment